RFI | Sudan rebels take a stance on ruling military council

A Sudanese rebel group operating in Blue Nile and South Kordofan states on Wednesday announced a three-month cessation of hostilities following the ousting of President Omar al-Bashir. The country’s new ruling military council had previously announced a nationwide ceasefire.

“I, commander of SPLM-N announce the suspending of hostilities for three months in all areas under its control until July 31, 2019,” said Abdulaziz al-Hilu, leader of the Sudan’s People’s Liberation Movement-North, according to the AFP news agency.

The SPLM-N has been fighting government forces in Blue Nile and South Kordofan for several years and thousands of people have been killed.

“A statement has been declared to create a buffer for the peaceful transformation of power from the military council in Khartoum to the civilians,” Kamal Kambal, the SPLM-N representative in UK, told RFI.

The rebel group’s leadership has not yet been in touch with the ruling military council in Khartoum, according to Kambal. “We’re still monitoring the situation to see how the military council in Khartoum will move,” he said.

Please read the article from the source