Sudan protest updates: December 2018 – February 1, 2019
March 1: EU calls for truce in Sudan crisis
The European Union has reacted to developments in Sudan calling for the regime to do all it takes to arrest excesses that are likely to spiral from the recently declared state of emergency.
In a statement issued on February 28, the EU’s High Representative said they were monitoring the situation in Sudan. The statement called on government to release persons detained for political reasons.
“The EU expects the Sudanese government to release all journalists, members of the opposition, human rights defenders and other protesters in detention.
“Some of those with whom the dialogue is set to take place have been arbitrarily detained for over two months now,” the statement read in part.
Bashir steps aside as head of Sudan ruling party
The Sudanese Professionals Association, SPA, which is behind the protests wrote in an update on its Twitter page that five people had been killed on Thursday and one casualty as at today March 1.
March is the fourth month of continuous protests in the country. Today marks a week since the state of emergency was declared and government dissolved and reconstituted.
“Regime’ forces continue to directly fire teargas canisters at peaceful protesters from close proximity.
“Five protesters were injured during #SudanUprising rallies, on 28 Feb, and another one today. Many were hospitalized suffering teargas suffocation,” SPA said.