Aljazeera | Sudan prosecutor general sacked as new protests held

Sudan‘s Transitional Military Council (TMC) has sacked the country’s prosecutor general, days after charges of corruption were brought against overthrown President Omar al-Bashir as new protests got under way.

The official SUNA news agency reported on Thursday that Abdullah Ahmed would replace Alwaleed Sayed Ahmed as prosecutor general, but did not give any reason for the sacking.

Abdullah had recently been appointed prosecutor for Khartoum, a role in which he was overseeing an investigation into the June 3 bloody raid on a protest camp in the capital that killed scores of pro-democracy demonstrators.

Al-Bashir, on Sunday, appeared in front of another prosecutor to face charges of corruption and illegal possession of foreign currency.

Thursday’s announcement comes weeks after protesters were violently dispersed on June 3 by men in military uniforms who, according to witnesses, shot and beat demonstrators who had taken part in the weeks-long sit-in outside the military headquarters.

The TMC has steadfastly denied it had ordered the dispersal, but said it had ordered a purge of a nearby area notorious for “criminals” selling drugs.

The council has said that the purge of the area, known as Colombia, was carried out only after a meeting of legal and security chiefs, which was attended by Alwaleed.

Last week, he told reporters he had attended the meeting but had left by the time the purge operation was discussed, saying: “In our presence, the dispersal of the sit-in was not even remotely discussed.”

Raid mastermind identified

At least 128 people have been killed since the June 3 crackdown, the majority on the day the sit-in was cleared, according to doctors linked to the protest movement that led to al-Bashir’s removal.

The health ministry gave a nationwide death toll of 61.

On Thursday, the TMC deputy head, General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, said that the mastermind behind the raid had been “identified” but said he would not reveal the identity due to an ongoing investigation.

“Whoever it is, whether from regular forces or a civilian, will be brought to trial. The investigation will be transparent and the trial will be public,” Dagalo, who is widely known as Hemeti, said.

Protesters say the crackdown was carried out by members of Hemeti’s feared paramilitary group, the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

Hemeti defended his force and warned of impostor troops, saying anybody could wear the unit’s uniform which could be bought in the markets.

“We arrested a general yesterday for distributing IDs of the RSF,” he said, adding that 23 other individuals were arrested in the Red Sea city of Port Sudan for wearing the unit’s uniform and “checking people”.

 

Please read the article from the source